Homemade mulled wine is incredibly easy to make on the stovetop (or simmer in the slow cooker), and you get to customise it with all your favourite spices and add-ins, and it is SO friendly and delicious. Perfect for winter and when friends come over! And ‘Blueberry’ Mulled Wine adds a novel & interesting twist.
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of dry red wine (try it with our blueberry wine)
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste (or your desired sweetener)
- optional add-in: 1/4 cup brandy (or your favourite liqueur)
- optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, and heat just barely to a simmer over medium-high heat. (Be careful not to boil the mulled wine — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain, and serve warm with your desired garnishes.
*Depending on taste, leave the mulled wine un-sweetened.
**You can also place the oranges, cloves, cinnamon, and star anise in a cheesecloth. Then simply strain and pull out the bundle when ready to serve.